Over the next 6 weeks, we will be studying the deeper questions of faith through some of the common phrases about faith. You’ve heard them—you may have even used some of them. Phrases like “God said it, I believe it, that settles it” and “Everything Happens for a Reason.” How do we use these phrases in helpful and hurtful ways? Each week, we’ll explore a different question with the purpose of deepening our understanding of what God does in our world.
5 of the 6 weeks, we will focus on chapters from the book “Half Truths” by Pastor Adam Hamilton. In his book, Hamilton explains how many of the things we think are from the Bible have become truths, even though they aren’t expressly written down in the scriptures. It will be up to us to see where they are true… and where they are Half Truths.
- June 25th: Deeper Questions of Faith: Can God say different things to different people?
- July 2nd: Independence Day weekend… Deeper Questions of Faith: Does God Bless America?* (not a chapter in the book, but a great question for us to explore!)
- July 9th: special guest musicians, Barbary Coast Deeper Questions of Faith: Does everything happen for a reason?
- July 16th: Deeper Questions of Faith: Does God help those who help themselves?
- July 23rd: Deeper Questions of Faith: Does God ever give you more than you can handle?
- July 30th: Deeper Questions of Faith: Can you love the sinner and hate the sin?
I don’t have all the answers—but I do plan to integrate Adam Hamilton’s thoughts with a look at scripture to see how these questions can shape our faith. My hope is that, through this series, you will have a deeper understanding of how to engage the questions and to see where God’s truth makes a difference in your life. Please ask questions along the way and use the daily readings and discussion questions that will be provided in the bulletin each week.
If you’d like to go even further, there is a private Facebook online study group that will be discussing each question and helping each other reflect on the main points. Your comments and thoughts will only be seen by the rest of the group. If you want to join that group, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or add me as a friend on Facebook and ask to join.
I invite you to read along with the book and ask the questions to people you talk with in your daily life. I’m excited to dig into this with you!